Saturday, August 26, 2006

Midnight Nation

Before I begin, thank you Salah. I don't know if you read this, but thank you for lending Midnight Nation to me.

Midnight Nation is a 12 issue comic book series written by Babylon 5 scibe J Michael Straczynski (hereafter referred to as JMS). Explaining the plot would give too much away (plus I've only read four issues) so I can't really talk about the story. But suffice it to say, it's one of those comics that makes me glad I'm a comic book fan. No giant robots, no ninjas with magic swords that combine into bigger swords, no gemstones that activate the secret laser weapon... just a good story with good characters. I'm writing this now, because issue four really made me think, and that's a rare thing in any kind of literature...

With all the comic book movies being made these days, I wonder if this one might be made into a movie. I mean it did happen with V is for Vendetta, so it's possible. I'm not sure this would be a good idea. Comic books really are a different medium, and things that work well in comics don't always translate well into other forms.

Anyway, if you are, or ever were, a fan of Babylon 5 or even JMS' Amazing Spider-Man comics (which he's been writing since 2001) then you owe it to yourself to get this series. It's been collected into a graphic novel... (meaning all 12 issues are collected together in one book) so you can read the whole story at once. And trust me, you'll be tempted to do just that.

1 Comments:

Blogger dangerdonna said...

Isn't it great to blog! Everyone who likes you will want to read about what you think about politics and comic books and clear lakes (muffins/cupcakes?!) and everyone who doesn't even know you will read it because they are interested! (Note I only skimmed through your rants heehee). Tell me more about what you do in CT! Welcome to the blog world :)

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home